As the BostonCHI Hot Jobs coordinator, I need to be able to manage the mailing list and send out job postings. For the past few years, we've used Topica, which is a free service. It's ok, but has a number of flaws. Here's the list archive, if you'd like to check it out: http://lists.topica.com/lists/gbsigchi.hotjobs/read
- I don't reliably get subscription requests emailed to me.
- The list member management is really archaic and clunky.
- The posting mechanisms work best if done through their web form, which is inconvenient.
- It redacts any email addresses in a message so that they must be clicked on to send an email to that address through Topica. To some people this might be a feature, but it's inconvenient to the job seekers.
Here are some features that I'd really like in a replacement:
- Subscription requests are vetted against the BostonCHI membership list. Members would get automatically accepted and non-members would get a polite declining email.
- I'd like to be able to send a post via email to the service that doesn't get munged.
- Have a nicer interface.
- Have better list management features.
I had thought of creating a private Google Group, as I think that people can receive posts via email and not have to create a Google account. Or, perhaps some sort of blogging endeavor? There're also sites like these which encompass some or all group organization, but are paid services.